1. L. E. Carmichael
    August 6, 2014 @ 6:21 am

My mom was working nights the evening before my 6th grade school photos, so my Dad used the crimping iron to style my hair for me. He’d never used one before and acquired several finger-burns, but he did a great job. I’ll never forget it – and I’ll bet he felt like a real man the whole time.

August 6, 2014 @ 10:01 pm

What a wonderful memory! And a brave dad, I don’t know if I would be brave enough to use a crimping iron right before school pictures!

2. Jordan L. Hawk
    August 6, 2014 @ 7:15 am

I think my head would have exploded right there in traffic. >:(

My husband cooks, cleans, is generally very nurturing, beta reads my novels, and looks damn good in a skirt. 🙂

August 6, 2014 @ 9:59 pm

I LOVE men in skirts, kilts, sarongs any and all versions. SWOONS. My husband is such a better housekeeper than I am really, we should have reversed rolls, except I’m also lazy and really wanted to stay home. LOL

3. Robin
    August 6, 2014 @ 7:23 am

My wonderful husband stayed home with both our kids until they started school. He had Daddy School – teaching them numbers, letters, cooking, dancing, fitness, building, playwriting, etc. He knows them inside & out & built a strong solid relationship with his kids. He might not be as manly as a radio DJ, but he’s an amazing Dad and I’ll take that over anything else.

August 6, 2014 @ 9:58 pm

That is wonderful! It always makes me sad when dads are afraid to parent their own children. YAY for men strong enough to be Daddy 🙂

4. Kim
    August 6, 2014 @ 8:19 am

I would have had the same reaction as you about that DJ’s stupid question! It is part of the problem. My husband is the best damn cook! Way better than me.

August 6, 2014 @ 9:56 pm

Right I’ve always said Rod would take better care of the house and cooking then I ever did, if only I made enough to keep him home. Ah, someday.

5. Diana Beebe
    August 6, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

I have been thinking about this a lot lately!! I’ve been working on a blog post for weeks. Mostly, my thoughts have been about fathers being fathers and not babysitters. Nothing ticks me off more than a dad who says he “has to babysit” his own children when their mother isn’t there.

The last time I checked, he’s taking care of his own kids, which means he’s being a parent. He’s not taking care of someone else’s kids. THAT would be babysitting or supervising a play date.

My husband is a great dad and cook and housekeeper. If we competed to see which one of us would be a better stay-at-home parent, he would win. No contest!

So, yeah, I’m still a little too ranty about this topic to write a post still, evidently. 😀

August 6, 2014 @ 9:55 pm

I am behind you 100% Parents don’t babysit no matter what gender they are! Thanks Diana 🙂

6. Middlemay Farm
    August 7, 2014 @ 6:42 am

You make me laugh even when you’re mad 🙂 My husband and my father are both alpha males, but they do have this incredible compassion for sick people. They are the true nurses of the family. It’s a joke/truth that I’m the worst nurse you’d ever want to meet.

August 17, 2014 @ 5:37 pm

IMHO only people with compassion can be alphas. Glad I could make you laugh.