1. Stephanie Beavers
    August 29, 2013 @ 11:55 am

I love going to the movies, but I typically skip the popcorn etc. I’ll smuggle a pack of Jolly Ranchers in and suck on them during the movie, and that typically does me. I’m with you – I think paying that much for munchy food is ridiculous. Even just the movie tickets make me hesitate, so I wait for movies I’m really excited about that pack a big visual punch before deciding to see it in theaters.

September 10, 2013 @ 11:49 am

I wish I could get my family into the food smuggling, I do that but they like the while experience 🙂 Thanks Stephanie!

2. heathermama
    August 29, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

we usually go once a year. and although we love it… tickets for all of us is $80 then another $60 on theater junk food… esh! that is why we go once a year. lol

September 10, 2013 @ 11:49 am

Yep- it’s a lot, the second run shows aren’t bad, but again add in the food and ouch!

3. Diana Beebe
    August 29, 2013 @ 6:34 pm

I have such a hard time spending that kind of money on a movie, too! I’ll do it every so often, but it’s painful. There’s an older theater in town that shows movies that have recently left the new theaters. The tickets are under $2, usually. You would think that is more appealing.

The concessions are still too pricey and the seats are not comfortable, which just reminds me that the newer, cleaner theater might be worth the extra price of a ticket. It’s really the food I can’t stand paying the ridiculous prices for–when I boil it down.

September 10, 2013 @ 11:50 am

Glad I’m not alone! The problem is the matinee priced ticket aren’t too bad but then everyone is hunger because it’s just before lunch :(. Maybe we should start doing brunch and then a movie.

August 29, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

You’re a mean one, Mrs. Grinch … . I don’t go often. Hell, I watch movies on iMac from Amazon.com. That keeps me from almost getting into fist fights with jerks who want to talk. Not in my movie. Nope. 🙂

September 10, 2013 @ 11:51 am

I couldn’t even get started on the talkers, or the people who bring little kids to PG-13 and up movies, grrrr

5. Kim
    August 30, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

I only go to the movies if it’s something really big, like the 7th Harry Potter movie, or The Lord of the Rings. And we don’t buy food. I do go to the cheap theater more often, but even then I want it to be something I really want to see! And we don’t buy food. 🙂

September 10, 2013 @ 11:52 am

See I’m okay not buying the food, sighs, I’ll have to work on my family 🙂

6. localfreak
    September 1, 2013 @ 12:44 am

When I was a kid we went so rarely to the pictures (we didn’t have a cinema locally) it was practically a tradition that we’d go to a cheap shop like Spar or Aldi beforehand and stock up a bagful of snacks. I don’t think I ever had actual cinema-popcorn until I was in my teens.

I try to go more regularly now because it is only a short walk away but I go for the cheap viewings, like Sunday afternoons, and usually I’ve had Sunday dinner then so don’t want snacks at all, however my local pictures are relatively reasonable on ticket prices so it isn’t too bad, particularly when I go on the discounted showings.

I used to be a bit of a grinch over it though when I had to travel further afield but as it stands going to the pictures once a month is cheaper than a LoveFilm account for me. I suppose it helps, too, that I’d never go to see a 3-D showing and 2D is quite a bit cheaper.

September 10, 2013 @ 11:53 am

Big meal before the movie- this I think might be the answer to my problems, and I don;t mind some 3D but I’m also totally happy with the 2D movies.