1. Jordan L. Hawk
    January 28, 2013 @ 6:06 am

I’ve been called to jury duty three times and served twice. Each was a goldmine of crazy. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for people watching) both counties were small enough that the courthouse didn’t have a separate room where you could watch movies, so we just sat in the courtroom and listened to the jury selection the whole time.

• Marlene Dotterer
      January 28, 2013 @ 6:45 am

I like it, too. I never get picked, though. Too opioniated I guess.

January 28, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

I was shocked when I got picked the first time. I was sure the fact that I worked with cops would get me out of serving.

January 28, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

A goldmine of crazy- love that! How fun that you got the watch the selection process!

2. Jennette Marie Powell
    January 28, 2013 @ 8:55 am

I found jury duty fascinating! We didn’t get to watch movies either, but it was still interesting, especially the witnesses. The alleged assault victim was a vagrant, and obviously a bit unstable – his emotions were all over the place! In the end, we acquitted the defendant – no one was sure he didn’t beat the guy up, but the state’s evidence wasn’t enough to “remove all doubt” which we were told it had to be if we were to recommend convicting him. Definitely fodder for writing!

January 28, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

That bit is very difficult for me, the shadow of a doubt, maybe because I really want to know 100% for sure- or maybe it’s just because I’m a judgmental b!@#$

3. Kim
    January 28, 2013 @ 8:59 am

“Eye candy should be silent.” Haha!

Jury duty is definitely a great place for people watching. I do the same thing when I ride the city bus. Very interesting.

4. tucsonmike
    January 28, 2013 @ 10:45 am

Food for thought, Alicia. I will keep that in mind, if and when I am called for jury duty again. I haven’t been called in five years.

5. Diana Beebe
    January 28, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I’m with Kim–“Eye candy should be silent.” That is the funniest thing I’ve read all day!

You know I never thought about jury duty that way. I haven’t been called to the courthouse in years (instead I get to call in to hear whether I have to show or not). Showing a movie is brilliant. They made a lovely choice, too.

January 28, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Thanks- I was very put out when he spoke I was in a middle of created his character and he ruined everything by being such an ass.

January 28, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

People don’t want you to see that they are reading crap. That’s the real reason.

7. kinleybaker
    January 28, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

Lol. I always get disappointed when I think things like… that person much be so insightful! Then I hear them speak more, and not so much. Great advice. I usually find good material from things I don’t want to do. But I still don’t want to do them. 🙂

February 6, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

It is very disappointing. Every one should just be quiet and I’ll talk for them in my head LOL

8. Jolyse Barnett
    January 29, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

I love to people watch on the train, in restaurants, at the mall, just about anywhere. I have copious notes from airports and wedding receptions too. Yeah, I’m weird like that. 🙂

February 6, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

I love people watching- growing up in San Francisco it was a sport 🙂

February 1, 2013 @ 6:57 am

I laughed aloud at “Eye candy should be silent” as well. I have only been called for jury duty when I absolutely could not go (young children at home). I’m actually a little disappointed that I haven’t gotten to serve. Especially if they show Young Frankenstein!

February 6, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

I hope you get a chance to serve if only for the great research opportunities!