1. Ryan King
    January 16, 2013 @ 7:21 am

I still haven’t figured that one out yet. Sometimes I can write/edit during my lunch breaks but typically my free writing time comes at the end of the day when my son has gone to sleep (9pm or so). At that point, I feel the same way. I get ideas and what not but having enough mental brain power to be productive is hard. I have to coax them to work together by using music, tea or some other means. But if that’s the time you have, make the best of it.

January 16, 2013 @ 7:45 am

I should just got ahead and pound on the keys- I mean even drunken monkey must make words once in a while right? LOL But no caffeine for me- I’m such a light weight I’d be up until 3am! LOL

• Ryan King
        January 16, 2013 @ 8:12 am

hehe. We don’t want you up till then!

January 16, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

My theory is it’s because the subconscious is what stimulates creativity, and it never sleeps. It also cannot filter or distinguish what’s real so we build up this horde of stimuli that we have to deal with later. Then, when we finally relax enough to no longer want to think, the subconscious asserts itself, and sends our conscious brain its garbage.

I actually make sure I take a break between work and writing. Then, I allocate a specific time to write, usually no more than an hour on weeknights. But I get second winds and I’m a not owl, so it’s probably easier for me.

January 21, 2013 @ 8:46 am

Maybe the next time I get that spark I’ll just go ahead and run with it and see what happens 🙂

3. KM Huber
    January 17, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

I have always been a morning writer but I discovered that what I really am is a morning editor and and in the afternoon is when I really get creative. Like you, I may know this but I have not yet worked the rest of my life around this revelation. Enjoyed the post.

Karen

January 21, 2013 @ 8:48 am

Thanks Karen I have children every where- personal and work so I don’t get to be picky I must write and edit when I have a free moment. I can just imagine how lovely it is to carve out time. Someday that will be me 🙂

4. Karla Darcy
    January 21, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

I’m unfortunately a night person. When my kids were little that was the quiet time when I could write. Used to write from 10pm to 4 am when the kids were old enough to get up by themselves. Doesn’t get me an award for mother of the year but it was the only time I had. Still tend to be a night owl. I suppose it’s whatever works for each of us.

January 23, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

We all have to find our time to write Karla, I think the important piece is being honest with yourself about when works best for you and not trying to force yourself into being ‘perfect’ or ‘normal’ or someone else.

5. heathermama
    January 22, 2013 @ 9:34 am

you need to get that “Dragon” program so you can at least talk and get the ideas out and maybe rework them when your body can function. lol