1. Kim
    October 17, 2012 @ 8:42 am

I remember being upset by Friday Night Lights. The first season was excellent–good writing and good acting. The second season was terrible! It became a bad soap opera and they lost the football story line, which was what the show was supposed to be about. They also did the trick where they made one of the most popular characters younger than he started out as. The boy was clearly a senior in the first season, but they had him stay in high school for 2 more years!

I found out later that the reason the writing got so bad was because of the writer’s strike. When the writer’s strike ended, the show went back to being well written and I kept watching it. I watched it to the end.

October 17, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

GUH- the writers strike- okay that’s an excuse but making the character suddenly two years younger -yuck! Bad cheap writing. I wish they would take the hint from BBC we will watch shows even if our fav characters go, are changed, or end while we still love them.

2. Sarah Brabazon
    October 17, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

I haven’t seen Glee, but I’ve been turned off television series several times. The first was Dark Angel if you remember it, with Jessica Alba. It became obvious that the deadly virus keeping the love interests apart was a plot device (that the writers then forgot about), because when it was cured, they still couldn’t touch.
    More recently, True Blood has gone off the rails. I have to wait until the DVDs are released, but I won’t be buying the next season. What’s with Bill, the twice reborn vampire god of the apocalypse? And Eric, all sensitive new-age? And Pam? She used to get all the best lines. I thought Alan Ball did a great job translating the books to screen, and told excellent stories, but I’m done with it from now (don’t get me started on the recent books from Ms Harris).

October 17, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

I do remember Dark Angel- and yes you need to keep up with your characters and plot lines!! Such a bummer about True Blood, I’m behind as I have no cable 🙁 and I’ve only read two of the books. Again sometimes I think they push things past when they are good for the sake of money instead of letting it just end.

October 17, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

I don’t know if I feel “betrayed,” but I am frustrated right now with The Big Bang Theory because they’ve started to rely on their go-to gags instead of the fresh humor that was in the first few seasons. I’m hanging in there a little longer to see if they see the light.

October 23, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

See this is what I am talking about- if the writers could be honest with themselves then they could end the show while we still love it before it becomes stale.

4. Gail Ann Gibbs
    October 19, 2012 @ 10:46 am

I used to love NCIS. I know the series is winding down, but I had hoped to stick with it to the end. However, the writing is so bad and the themes are increasingly violent and blindly jingoistic. The lead hero, Jethro Gibbs, used to have a skillful interrogation technique, wonderful dialogs involving asking just the right question at just the right time. Now he just threatens to send them Gitmo and they fold.
    The end came with this season’s opening episode, when Gibbs gut-knifed the perpetrator, instead of taking him in. I assume I was supposed to feel vindication, since he was a really bad guy, but I just felt sickened and yes, betrayed. I tell myself it’s just a TV show, but it still hurts a little.

October 23, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

When we love characters it is upsetting to see them move so far away from what we know of them. I think all writers have to stop and really think if they have enough to create another book/season/movie or if it’s time to let it go.

5. Jennifer Fischetto
    October 20, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

The last season of Charmed sucked big ones. They created new elements which threw off EVERYTHING they’d said in the past 7 (I think) seasons. It was badly written, sad, lame, and just plain awful. I watched because it was the last season, but in reruns, I skip that season. The last two episodes, however, rocked and fully redeemed all the lameness.

I stopped watching Glee at the end of the second season. I saw a few eps in the third, but I HATED what they did with Quinn. From when she wanted Finn back, to him and Rachel breaking up, and then the baby stuff was the final straw. I just didn’t care about any of them enough. Rachel never seemed to grow, and it was easier to turn on the radio then endure the show. 🙂

October 23, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

Yes- when a writer creates a world they must stay true to that world- you need to be consistent. And heck if your not sure ask your fans, we totally obsess over these things LOL

And I agree 100% about Quinn- it was painful and embarrassing to watch her plot line.

6. stkdoon