August 29, 2012 @ 6:30 am

I have that painting hanging in my house, so I know exactly what you mean. Yes, I think we look better from the totality of our lives instead of that one moment we blew it (okay, okay, more than one). In particular, sometimes I feel like I’m not that great a parent, but then I realize that my kids are pretty well cared for and know that they’re loved. I don’t volunteer with the PTA nearly as much as some moms or take my kids to Disney every year (or any year), but I give parenting my best shot and it’s not all bad; some parts are pretty darn good. And for when I fail, there’s always sarcastic humor and therapy my kids can use to deal.

August 29, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Parenting is such a hard thing to judge one minute you’re amazing, making cookies, teaching them about Japan, and listening as they tell you your secrets and the next minute you’re screaming and threatening to send them to boarding school in Kenya if they ever leave a dirty socks int he hallway again! I think if you are parenting with love and humor everything will turn out all right.

2. Kim
    August 29, 2012 @ 9:12 am

Lovely analogy. Yes, I think you are absolutely right. I know I am my worst critic. Alica, I think it was you who, years ago, when I said I had no discipline reminded me of all the hours I put into aikido. I think my virtues list would look like your first one, all criticisms of myself. But I do the best I can and sometimes that means failing. It also means a lot of successes to. I like your idea of looking at the big picture, because the view is much better from far away.

August 29, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

LOL- We always see the worst of ourselves and judge ourselves by the last things we did. I am not patience because I snapped at the boy child for leaving his dirty dishes on the table- AGAIN! Instead of seeing the hours we put into something else like Aikido, cleaning, or making food.

3. sharon
    August 29, 2012 @ 11:30 am

Yes, i think of you as one of the most patient people… As well as generous and kind.

August 29, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

Sharon you are so sweet. And if you are calling me patient and generous then I must be!