1. Kilian Metcalf
    June 11, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Happy to be your spider friend! I have several friends who have made the transition from spider friends to face-to-face friends. I’m very careful, though, and don’t give out info until I’m sure they are who they say they are. Really, would a predator pose as a middle-aged female court reporter, I ask you?

2. greenfreaksheathermama
    June 11, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

spider friends. LOL you so funny!

3. Lena Corazon (@LenaCorazon)
    June 11, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

Haha, I LOVE the idea of spider friends! While some of the stigma of creating relationships online has faded somewhat, I think those dangers that you mention still lurk to a certain extent. I know my offline friends give me a weird side-eye whenever I mention my online writing friends, which is a huge bummer. Maybe I’ll start invoking the “spider friend” idea too!

4. Shannon
    June 11, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

I have some lovely spider friends! (love that phrase) There is a group of us who have been together for over 7 years now. We keep in touch weekly, if not daily and many of us have met up in different states and even across the world.

June 16, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

Spider friends are great, and you can always find one or two awake no matter what time it is.

June 11, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

I don’t get embarrassed at all, as that’s how I met my ex wife. I don’t really know anyone who isn’t on the internet, including my 75-year-old mom, who Googles me constantly. I think the stigma has passed.

June 16, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

It probably has, it’s just one of those weird little things that I haven’t purged yet.

6. lynnkelleyauthor
    June 12, 2012 @ 4:03 am

I was never on the internet when it first started, not until the last few years so I don’t have those fears. I don’t mind being your spider friend, as long as you don’t smack me with a shoe!

June 16, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

I promise I won;t smack you- anyway in my house spider killing is a man’s job LOL!

June 12, 2012 @ 11:55 am

I like that moniker – Spider Friend! Spiders are beautiful, fascinating creatures. I have also learned to distinguish for my husband, so now I have cyberfriends. I’m hoping that sounds kind of like SuperFriends — you know, that TV show with Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, Aquaman, etc.

June 16, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

Thanks Julie, I want to be part of your cyber friend group- I’m pretty sure I have a cape around here somewhere.