1. Diane Capri (@DianeCapri)
    May 7, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

This is interesting, Alica. The usual advice is to open the e-book at the first reading experience (either the prologue if there is one or the first chapter). The reason given for this is that when readers get the sample, they get the first 10% by default and if you give them something other than the text, they end up with not very much of the book to read. But your point is a good one. I wonder how resolve these conflicting concerns?

May 8, 2012 @ 12:32 am

Yes, and I understand about getting as much story into that preview, but I think having a short blurb on the title page- or paired up with something else would be helpful.

May 7, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Interesting perspective. I’ll have to consider that for the next upload.

May 8, 2012 @ 12:36 am

I think it’s worth reminding people why they choose your book.

• Bill Jones, Jr.
        May 8, 2012 @ 2:25 am

Mine will read, “You chose this book because I would like to retire faster than my company allows. Please read the book so others will buy it.”

3. CC MacKenzie
    May 7, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

There’s recently been a chat about this very thing on the Indieromanceink loop. And many were saying that readers want the blurb on the page after the title. So that’s exactly where I put the blurb with a short conversation extract. And it seems to have worked. Although one commenter said she couldn’t find the conversation extract – I went back and said Chapter 11 page 4 and she came and admitted it was there! You gotta love readers!

But yes, I get your point Alica. And you’re right! Maybe Amazon will listen if you tell them. Then again ……

May 8, 2012 @ 12:37 am

I don’t think it’s up to amazon- it needs to be the people who set up the book. The authors and publishers need to put the a small blurb in the front. I would have been very happy with any book like that.

4. marlenedotterer
    May 7, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

Well, you just convinced me not to get a Fire. Not being able to sort my books is a no-win situation.

I think you’re right, though. I also wish we could see the covers. I want as much of the regular reading experience as I can get with an e-reader. That mean seeing the cover first, then a title page, a copyright page, and yes, the blurb would be nice. It’s a hassle to have to connect to whispernet just to remind myself what the book is about.

May 8, 2012 @ 12:38 am

Exactly- especially if you’re on the hunt for a specific genre or type of book!

5. Sheila Seabrook
    May 8, 2012 @ 3:39 am

Alicia, this was so good, I had to tweet it out! Great advice and so true. I can’t sort books on my iPad and a blurb at the beginning of the book would be so helpful. Your post is so timely because I’m just starting to format a good right now. Thanks for the great idea!

May 8, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Thanks Sheila- I’m happy to be of help. It’s great if people buy our books but we want them to read them, and tell all their friends!

6. Sheila Seabrook
    May 8, 2012 @ 3:40 am

Really, I can’t type names properly, Alica! 🙂

7. elainecharton
    May 8, 2012 @ 4:04 am

Such a great idea and so true. You never really think if it that way. I will do my best to remember that for my next book.

8. lynnkelleyauthor
    May 8, 2012 @ 4:31 am

Great advice, Alica. That would drive me crazy. I’ll be sure to add the short back cover blurb for the print version to the eBook for my chapter book, coming out in October. Not that it will be too hard to tell it’s a kids’ chapter book since it will have B&W illustrations and simple language, but I’ll do this with my other books, too.

May 8, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

Hey what if I buy a bunch of kids books? I think knowing why I choose yours will help 🙂

9. Karen McFarland
    May 8, 2012 @ 7:47 am

Alica, you definitely have a great point! I’m glad you feel able to speak out about this. I on the other hand am just sitting back and watching all you guys out there and taking notes so that when I am ready, I’ll look like I know what I’m doing. LOL! Thanks. 🙂

May 8, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Research is important! It will help you figure out what is best for you and your lifestyle.

10. Reetta Raitanen
    May 8, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

I have a Kindle Fire too and with so many unread books there, I could use the blurbs on the first page as a reminder of what this book was about. And I agree with Marlene that it would be nice to see the cover and index first thing. I especially miss the index on non-fiction books because now I have no idea of the exact contents of the book.

May 9, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Maybe we can get the word out- of course it would be nice if Kindle gave us a way to sort our books!

11. eliseinaz
    May 9, 2012 @ 1:37 am

Since I have a Nook, I didn’t realize Kindles have this problem. When you click on a title on the Nook, one of the options is Items Details and Options. If you click on that, it brings up the blurb. I used it all the time to put newly downloaded books on the right shelf.

Thanks for the heads-up.

May 9, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Oh- that’s nice. I’m plotting an email to Amazon- not being to sort my books is not working for me.

May 10, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Wow, these are great ideas. Thanks!