December 28, 2011 @ 6:37 am

Well, Alica, just let me say that you must be a very special person to be able to work in an environment such as the one you describe. It sounds noble and awesome yet sad and disappointing at times as well. And I can’t imagine doing it. You are doing something most people could not do. That makes you unique and one-of-a-kind.

December 28, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Thanks Patti- but there are a lot of people in the world who do what I do, some without becoming an emotional mess LOL!

2. August McLaughlin
    December 28, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

Thanks for this lovely, insightful post, Alica. I can relate to high sensitivity and the advantages and challenges it brings. I bet that your sensitive nature helps you empathize and connect with others (including the kids you work with) and write as well as you. Looking inward and analyzing why you experience rough moods speaks of your good heart and intentions. Therapy has helped me! LOL As has writing. Stay well and please keep us posted!

December 29, 2011 @ 1:48 am

I loved going to my councilor, he really helped be balance things, then my son got into an expensive school and it’s me and writing- when I remember to take care of myself. I does help me connect, which can be good and bad, hopefully it helps me be a better writer.

December 28, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

I think you have to be true to yourself. Your sensitivity is probably good for the kids, even is it’s hard on you.

December 29, 2011 @ 1:45 am

Thank Bill 🙂 It can be good for them until I get my feelings hurt and pout like a big baby LOL!

4. Pat O'Dea Rosen
    December 28, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

The kids are lucky to have you, Alicia. That said, protect yourself from burnout so the kids don’t lose you to a job that’s less draining.

December 29, 2011 @ 1:44 am

Thanks Pat, I try and re-charge and I work with some amazing people who help me out a lot.

5. Karen McFarland
    December 29, 2011 @ 5:39 am

What a wonderful post Alica! Boy am I ever glad I stepped out this evening and visited your post. I applaud you for your sensitivity and your strength for sharing your feelings so openly with all of us. That takes bravery to put those feelings on the line. Thank you for entrusting us with your feelings. I also am a very sensitive person. It isn’t easy living this way. Yet, I would rather be sensitive than to be thick skinned. I want the ability to have fellow feeling for others so that I can be supportive and care. Those children are so fortunate to have someone like you, even if temporary, be a part of their lives. You have a big heart Alica. Stay true to yourself and keep writing. It’s great therapy. Take care. 🙂

December 29, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Thank you so much Karen! I’m working on balance and trying to see everything in a positive light- some days are easier then others. I’m sure once the holiday’s are over and our routine goes back to normal I’ll be in a better space.

6. elainecharton
    December 31, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

Alicia-
    Your sensitivity is what makes you such a wonderful person. It makes you good at your job and makes you a fabulous writer!

7. Rhonda Hopkins
    January 2, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Alica, that was a a moving post. I’m a pretty sensitive person as well. But having the jobs I had for the past 20 years (working with kids and families) would have torn me apart if I’d let it. I had to figure out a way to cut those emotions off.It was difficult and I didn’t like feeling the void when I did so, but it was self-preservation for me. And of course I wasn’t always successful. But we have to each handle things the way that it is best for us. As I’ve said before, the children are lucky to have you. Take care of yourself!

January 2, 2012 @ 11:06 pm

Thank you Rhonda- it is hard to find balance with being sensitive and being detached- I suck at it, but I’m learning to cope. I think it’s easier for me because I just have the kids- I don;t have to know what the adults are doing- thank goodness other wise I think I’d go all vigilante.