December 19, 2012 @ 8:03 am

I was wary about Scrivener at first, wondering what it would add to just writing in Word or whatever. But it really is designed with writers in mind so you can organize your novel. Plotters can use virtual note cards and outlines to plan out their whole novel, while pantsers can write and write, knowing that it will be easy to come back later and move whole chunks around or add layers. It’s a very reasonable price for a good tool. Obviously, I’d say go for it!

You can also ask for hubby to pick up the tab on a future writers workshop or conference or maybe a Writers Digest subscription (if you don’t have one yet). And the pony is always a great last resort idea. Who doesn’t want a pony?

December 20, 2012 @ 7:16 am

Thanks Julie- I’m always attracted to shiny plotter tools, but I’m really a pantser- much to my critique partners annoyance LOL- but being able to move chucks around and rework easier- that I use!

2. Diana Beebe
    December 19, 2012 @ 8:21 am

I have to put in a plug for Scrivener, too! I’ve been using it for a couple of months now on my current WIP. I will never write the old way again! Even though I’m still learning it, I love it. I’m asking for Gwen’s class on my list (Julie listed it)–and maybe her book, too. 🙂

December 20, 2012 @ 7:16 am

If I get Scrivener- which I’m leaning towards- I will ask for the class too. Thanks Diana!

3. Jordan L. Hawk
    December 19, 2012 @ 8:31 am

I can’t possibly praise Scrivener highly enough. The only reason I even use Word anymore is because my editor does. 🙁 It gives you places to organize your research (you can even import web pages and images), easily rearrange scenes, take “snapshots” of files you plan to make major changes to (so you can easily revert to the old version if the changes don’t work out after all), set daily and project targets…I could go on and on and on.

• Kilian Metcalf
      December 19, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

http://www.levenger.com is my favorite place to drool over gifts for readers. I have spent sooooo much money there. Pricey stuff, but good value for the price.

December 20, 2012 @ 7:30 am

eek! Bad Kilian I don;t need more to choose from LOL Thanks I’ll have to check it out.

December 20, 2012 @ 7:29 am

Wow- all of that does sound great, I think I know what I’m getting for Christmas- assuming I’ve been good enough for Santa to give me a gift.

4. Sarah Brabazon
    December 20, 2012 @ 1:39 am

Alicia, I haven’t used Scrivener very much, I use a freeware package called yWriter, written by an author called Hal Spacejock (his actual name is Simon Haynes). I’ve puddled in it for several years, and I think these packages help you organise your writing If you are someone who likes to be organised, but if you write organically then you might be better off asking him for ‘writing time’ away from other responsibilities.
    I’m not a big fan of stuff – I find it ends up owning you, so an experience is also a great gift. Don’t think if the spa as an expensive afternoon, but as an opportunity to daydream about your characters- heck, it could even be a work-related expense if you are really savvy.
    Good luck, and Merry Christmas

December 20, 2012 @ 7:32 am

Thanks Sarah I will definitely have to look at Scrivener and see if it will be a good fit for me- I do have the tendency to need to rearrange scenes and such, so for that alone it could be very helpful.