1. charismaloy
    April 16, 2012 @ 8:09 am

You know, it is a tradition in Native American craftsmanship to intentionally leave imperfections in each piece of handcrafted work. The thought is that nothing in nature is truly perfect. You wrote and excellent book, and imperfections are nothing to fear.

April 17, 2012 @ 1:56 am

I believe they also do that in the Middle East- I remember seeing something about Persian rugs always being made with a mistake because only god is perfect. Thanks Charis!!

2. Brandy
    April 16, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Even professionally published novels have errors and typos in them. It happens. In the grand scheme of things it’s not that big of a deal.

April 16, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

This reminds me of my recent post about a friend who advised me simply, “Don’t suck.” You don’t suck, Alica. Even perfect people use pencils with erasers! One of the best things about ebooks now is that you can go back and correct mistakes. However, I don’t know if I’ve ever read a printed novel that didn’t have a misspelling, punctuation error, or something. It happens whether you self-publish or traditionally publish.

Congrats on the book release! That is something to smile about. Best wishes!

April 17, 2012 @ 1:57 am

Thanks Julie! It’s true mistakes are everywhere. I don’t expect others to be perfect, so I’m not sure why I think I have to be perfect.

4. Joelle Wilson
    April 16, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

Great post. I absolutely love this part “And it clicks. It’s more important that I show up, try, and work to improve then being perfect.” It’s such a great truth that I’m going to print that quote and hang it up by my writing desk. Thanks for posting.

April 17, 2012 @ 1:59 am

Thanks Joelle, I’m so flattered that I was able to inspire you 🙂

5. Jolyse Barnett
    April 16, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

Alica, congratulations again on the self-publication of your first novel. I’m still working through final revisions on mine and worry about my perfectionist tendencies interfering with making it to the next step. It’s nice that you can go back and fix the minor errors, but like a number of people have mentioned, most books we read have at least a few.

Love your quote, too. 🙂

April 17, 2012 @ 2:01 am

Jolyse thank you so much- it’s been an amazing adventure. Setting your book free is very nerve wracking, but yes being self published mistakes are fixable, which is very nice.

6. Stomping the Inner Critic | Chasing Moonlight
    April 17, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

[…] be creative (in anything). Harsh little bugger It is. Speaking of perfection you should check out Alicia Mckenna Johnson’s blog post from […]

7. Jennette Marie Powell
    April 17, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

I hate that oh-crap moment when I find a mistake in my pu lished books. Ebooks can be fixed, but my printer charges for changes, so the couple I later found in my print book will stay. I figure it’s in good company – most big pub books have a couple of typos too.

April 18, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

I haven’t done a print book yet- it’s a goal I’m working towards, but yes I can see that being worse then a mistake in an ebook. Oh well, letting go is supposed to be good for us right?