1. collecthemomentsonebyone
    February 15, 2012 @ 6:14 am

I like how we both scoured the same site to get the picture of books, since your first picture is my icon-thing 🙂
    Also, I totally agree with you on the old books thing. Love them!

2. Keli Gwyn
    February 15, 2012 @ 8:28 am

I like the sound and feel of dated words, which is one of the reasons I write historicals. As an example, I think addlepated has much more flavor to it than plain crazy. 🙂

3. Jenifer
    February 15, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Gosh. With the exception of ‘gaily’, even I knew the meaning of that has changed, I am so old that I did not realise the words you mentioned; vexed, ponder, spectacles, diligence, crossly, gaily, queer, and presently, are no longer commonly used. One of the hazards of being seventy I suppose.

February 15, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

We, as a society, have confused popular books with well-written ones. I desperately hope to regain some of the lost lyricism. I due expect a change will be toddling along presently.

February 16, 2012 @ 3:15 am

I agree- popular doesn’t necessarily mean great, but hopefully with all of the opportunities for author to publish it will 🙂 Toddle away Bill

5. elainecharton
    February 15, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

I love my NOOK but there is nothing like the smell and feel of books, especially old books. If we are in NYC visiting Michael’s family, I love to go to Strand which has miles and miles of books. I can get lost there.

February 16, 2012 @ 3:16 am

Sounds like a fabulous place to go- adding it to my list. Thanks Elaine!

• elainecharton
        February 16, 2012 @ 3:21 am

It is. One time I got to go upstairs with my father in law. He collects antique chemistry books. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.. They had to drag me out of a corner where I was looking at antique medical texts.

February 15, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

I know exactly what you mean about the words we used to see in old books. They have a certain “sense” or “feeling” to them that you don’t find nowadays. I used to read a lot of old books and classics and such but don’t do that any longer.
    I have seen so many rules about how we’re supposed to write, such as we should just simply use “said” when writing dialogue because the reader doesn’t care about that sort of thing. I disagree. When you see “vexed” instead of “said” there IS a difference in its connotation.

February 16, 2012 @ 3:21 am

Yes, when I read older books I see all kinds of “rules” that are broken esp. ly words
      Thanks Patti

7. Julie
    February 15, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

I love this post. It’s so true that even books today are rushed and racy. Nobody likes to take their time anymore. And the luscious words that are no longer used. Thanks for taking us back in time a bit! 🙂

February 16, 2012 @ 3:27 am

Thanks Julie We need more luscious words- maybe we can start sneaking them back in 🙂

February 15, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

I also love a lot of the language of older books. The descriptions of architecture and nature are fascinating at times as well.

February 16, 2012 @ 3:28 am

Yes you get some great descriptions and view into life from older books. Thank you Julie!!!

9. August McLaughlin
    February 16, 2012 @ 4:06 am

Ooh, I love old books, especially those with yellowed, antique-smelling pages and scribblings from a past reader. Fun post, Alica!

February 17, 2012 @ 1:04 am

Thanks- my daughter loves the smell and feel of old ever since she was a toddler.