1. heathermama
    January 25, 2012 @ 7:25 am

((hug)) it is true, the outside can change but it means nothing if the inside is the same. reminds me of our move to maine. i was sooo sure if we moved shit would be better, but we were the same people, what needed to change wasn’t the state we lived in, but our state of mind.
    i feel i am finally getting there, finding my happy spot and being able to not just fake it but truly mean it. and you know experiencing other joy has helped me.

January 25, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

Thanks Heather it’s true too often I search for happiness outside myself. I’ll be happy when and I need to learn to be happy now.

January 25, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

I’m finding negativity creeping in myself, especially when I’m tired. A friend of mine sends me Joel Osteen’s daily word via email each morning. It helps to at least start with a positive thought. Sometimes it’s just remembering to have an atittude of gratititude.

January 25, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

I’ve been writing five things I’m grateful for- most days- maybe I need to do it earlier in the day instead of at the end?
      Thanks Bill

January 25, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

Blue glitter would make life better, wouldn’t it? I’m a natural pessimist. When something really great happens, pretty soon I have a sense of doom because something bad must be riding on its coattails. Silly, I think. However, learning to be grateful for what you have and where you are is a great way to combat that pessimism. There is always someone else having it easier and someone having it harder than you do. Here’s hoping you can fill that glass to the top and enjoy! I think you’re amazing for doing all that you do.

January 25, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Than you Julie! Glitter is a good thing, but I do need to to be grateful for what I have, and while planning for the future is good maybe we both could tone down the negativity. 🙂

January 25, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

From you, Alica: “I need to count my blessings and stop listing my failures.”
    And from Julie: “However, learning to be grateful for what you have and where you are is a great way to combat that pessimism. There is always someone else having it easier and someone having it harder than you do.”
    Those are two wonderful ways to live your days.

January 25, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

True Patti- it’s all about perspective and what we choose to focus on.

5. Lesann
    January 25, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Oh dear.

I’m afraid you’ve been channeling me again.

I could have written this post – most of it. I feel like this when I’ve been on the treadmill of juggling too many things for too long. Like you, I know the prescription for change starts with me but I can’t always get myself motivated. Thanks for the outside-looking-in-from-the-inside perspective. It helps.

Now is a good time.

January 25, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

I tend to do that! LOL! It is a good time, a new year, lots of choices, great support, and amazing new friends.
      Thanks Lesann

6. August McLaughlin
    January 25, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Can’t wait to hear those “need to”s change to “plan to”s or “will.” 🙂 Most of us feel the way you do at times, Alica. Courageous of you to share with such honesty. *hugs*

January 25, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

It’s so true August- I get angry and panicy if I’m saying I need to or should, OMG it’s crazy I’m an adult why do the words matter so much. If I can keep it to plan to , will, or want to it would change so much!
      Thanks!

7. Sherry Isaac
    January 26, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

Alicia, I relate. What helps for me is to think of five things I am thankful for. At first this can seem daunting when blue and discouraged, but the five things don’t have to be earth shattering. I’m thankful the table I set my laptop on isn’t lopsided.

Taking joy in simple things shifts your focus. That’s all discouragement is: focus on the negative aspects until the good becomes blurred.

January 26, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

I have been writing in a gratitude journal, but not until the end of the day- I thin I need to do it earlier to help me stay focused.
      Thanks Sherry!

8. Jolyse Barnett
    February 2, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

I know it’s a cliche, but when I start the internal negativity or whining, I tell myself to knock it off, it could always be worse. Hang in there, and focus on each moment. Some moments are crazy, sad, or horribe, but others are okay, happy, or wonderful. I live moment to moment being mom to an autistic teen son.

Love your posts, Alica. You NEVER come off sounding like a beeyotch. Just saying.

February 6, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

Thanks Jolyse! Inmy job I have ben forced into moment to moment living- it’s no gotten tot he point that unless I’m not working I don;t even have a plan for 2 hours ahead of time- you never know what’s going to happen!