1. Kim
    December 19, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

I met someone once who is that person who searches for loud and annoying gifts to give children. He thought it was funny. I told him what parents think of people like him. I also told him what parents end up doing with those toys. They get “lost” or the batteries are “dead” or Mommy “forgets” to buy batteries. Or they end up “broken.”

I never thought of it as being passive-aggressive. I just thought of it as obnoxious and cruel. I see your point, though, and I think you’re right. I’ll remember that.

December 20, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

What a jerk! I’ve had people without kids give things that the batteries had to be removed from, but I like to think they didn’t know, now I know better.

2. Kilian Metcalf
    December 19, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Probably apocryphal, but supposed a sign in a gift shop announced that “Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten.”

December 20, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

That works- but they’re not very passive about it LOL! Thanks Kilian!

December 19, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

What a beautiful song, Alica. Thank you for that.
    And let me take this moment to thank you for all of your lovely posts throughout the time I’ve been following you. I love your style and your writing and from everything I’ve read, you’re a woman with passion and a stand on life that I admire.
    Thank you for being here for me.

December 20, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Patti- thank you so much! I’m thrilled you’re enjoying my blog and thank you for all of your lovely comments! *hugs*

4. Angela Wallace
    December 19, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

Never heard it called that before. I’ve never done that to my friends, and never as “gifts,” but I have given yucky gluten-free experiments to my mom’s coworkers. (We rationalize it by saying guys will eat anything. :-P)

I love Loreena McKennitt! She’s one of my fav singers.

December 20, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

Isn’t she wonderful! My whole family loves hers. Guys will eat so it’s okay. 🙂 Thanks Angela

5. Fabio Bueno
    December 19, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

I’m guilty. I gave an electronic drum kit to a 5-year-old once–before I knew better. As penitence, I bought the same thing for my son a few years later.

December 20, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

You’re forgiven *grins* you’re braver then I am, although I did by my kids non-electronic musical instruments.

December 19, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

It’s the new equivalent of the fruitcake. 😉

December 20, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

It’s true- although I have to admit I like traditional fruitcake with dried not candies fruit and soaked in rum- yummy! Thanks Julie!

December 20, 2011 @ 1:25 am

I had someone give my daughter a toy like that once. I kept the batteries out, and told her her “auntie” gave her a toy that didn’t work. I’m devious.

8. August McLaughlin
    December 20, 2011 @ 2:21 am

Hilarious!

9. Tiffany A White
    December 20, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

LOL, Alica! This is great. I think I actually fall into this category when it comes to my nieces and nephews. I keep hearing that payback is a b*tch…

December 24, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

It is- only people who don’t plan on having kids should do this. Although I have found some obnoxious toys for my sisters cats.

10. Friday FaBOOolousness – December’s MarvelOoous Holiday Mashup | Tiffany A White's Ooo Factor
    December 23, 2011 @ 6:50 am

[…] McKenna Johnson asks, do you give Passive Aggressive Gifts?  I might fall into this category with my nieces and […]