1. heather hawkes
    November 11, 2011 @ 6:24 am

i love this movie. it has that same feel as “waking ned devine” and “the vicar of dibley” and you know i love those. oh and that one where the widow grows pot. lol loved that one too. 🙂

November 12, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

It does have the same feel to it! I love both of those too. Such from movies.

2. elainecharton
    November 11, 2011 @ 6:52 am

Love-Love-Love this Movie. It is so good. Unlike most movies, were the emphasis is on young and beautiful this one to me celebrates the joy of growing older and how wonderful it can be. Especially when we have friends to share it with friends who will love you even when you are being a shit. .And tell you when you are doing that.

November 12, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

That’s exactly what I love about it. The true supportive friendships that are caring and willing to call you on you’re crap.

3. Kilian Metcalf
    November 11, 2011 @ 10:43 am

I loved this movie, too. I read an interview with Helen Mirren, and she said trying to get those actresses to take their clothes off was like pulling teeth. They were as skittish and shy as the women they portrayed. The whole thing is a hoot. I hear that the garden club the story is based on raised a ton of money, more than $3 million dollars for leukemia research. Good on them.

November 11, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

Adored this movie! It was fabulous. It was also like sticking a big tongue out at the young-thin-beautiful message seen everywhere else. Older women can be gorgeous too. The acting in this film is brilliant. I’m so glad you spotlighted this movie this time around, Alica!

November 12, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

Thank you Julie! It is such a great movie and makes you look at beauty in a whole new way.

November 11, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

I am watching this as soon as I can, Alica. Thanks so much for the recommendation. It’s perfect for me since I am really feeling so old these days. Might have something to do with my 17-year-old possibly leaving the nest next year?

November 12, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

You’ll love it! It’s wonderful. And yes kids are the biggest issue for feeling old. I feel much older at their birthdays then I do at my own.

6. Kim
    November 11, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

I love this movie too! Our society is so hyper-focused on youth being the measure of beauty. It’s nice to see older women portrayed as vibrant and beautiful.

November 12, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

I agree Kim- one of the reasons I love foreign films is I’m more likely to find heroes and heroines of different ages and body types then in American movies.

November 12, 2011 @ 1:29 am

I’ll watch anything with Helen Mirren. I adore her.