1. asraidevin
    November 21, 2011 @ 7:12 am

Great post. Characters should be like people and have flaws for sure. Perfect characters don’t need to change who they are.

November 22, 2011 @ 1:36 am

It’s true flawed characters are interesting and we can take them places in our work. Thanks Asrai

2. August McLaughlin
    November 21, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

So true, Alica. Characters’ flaws help make them believable, relatable and more enjoyable to read and write about. Terrific illustrations of diversity!

November 22, 2011 @ 1:39 am

Thank you August, I had a lot of fun surfing the web for them 🙂 Flaws do make characters interesting and gives us a way to torture them. 🙂

November 21, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

What a beautiful dance and I really loved the song. Thank you for the tip about making your characters have flaws – like all real people. Sometimes I forget and my characters seem too cookie cutter and boring. They’re way more fun if they’re “real”.

November 22, 2011 @ 1:40 am

Patti I do the same thing! I always have to go back and make them physically and emotionall impoerfect. Cause you know it’s fun to day dream about perfect god like men surrounding you LOL!

November 21, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

Nice post. One thing for people to remember is that some problems are common to all people. Sometimes it adds value even if the writer knows what their issues are, without writing them explicitly. It will sometimes color their action and dialogue in ways that make the reader wonder where they are coming from.

November 22, 2011 @ 1:41 am

Bill I have a eight page charcter bio I do that has all sorts of info that never shows up in my book, but I know about and it helps me create richer characters.

5. Angela Wallace
    November 22, 2011 @ 1:52 am

I love characters who grow throughout a book. It makes me feel inspired that if they can overcome flaws, then I can overcome mine.

November 22, 2011 @ 2:32 am