November 30, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Some of the best advice I’ve ever received was to understand if my actions could control the outcome of the event is some way. If they could not, then step back, and add that to the list of things I didn’t worry about. It was really sound advice.

My response was to tell her to bleep off.

December 1, 2011 @ 1:04 am

Knowing what you can and can’t control is huge! I need to remember to go through things one at a time and figure out if it’s something I can control- usually it’s not LOL! Thanks for the reminder Bill!

2. Myndi Shafer...one stray sock away from insanity.
    November 30, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

I’m very familiar with anti-Zen. You’re definitely not alone! 🙂

BTW, if anti-Zen fails, I have a shovel, and will travel. 😀

December 1, 2011 @ 1:04 am

Awesome- thanks Myndi I’ll try and wait until after the baby is born 🙂

3. Kim
    November 30, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

I like this anti-Zen term, and I too am very familiar with it! My version also includes the slamming of doors. 🙂

4. Karen McFarland
    November 30, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

I don’t know if I have actually experienced a Zen moment, so I think my life is one repetitious moment of anti Zen. lol

I feel your pain Alica. May the force be with you my friend! 🙂

December 1, 2011 @ 1:12 am

Thank you Karen and I agree I feel often times my life is Zen by fire- learn to be Zen or go crazy!

5. Ellie Di
    November 30, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Dude. I know EXACTLY what you’re talking about (although my hissy fit usually comes before the mojitos and jammies). They’re much more rare than they used to be, but I still have an epic tantrum every couple of months, and they’re super cathartic. I think it’s good to get all the rage out in one solid go – much more healthy than trying to keep it under control and “acceptable” for days or weeks.

December 1, 2011 @ 1:06 am

I agree letting it out is wonderful- somedays I’m able to do this through hard core work outs, but most of the time it’s temper tantrums and chocolate!

6. coleen patrick
    November 30, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

My anti-Zen moments require a two second delay for bleeping. 🙂

December 1, 2011 @ 1:06 am

I bleep button would help a lot! Esp around the kids- they don’t need to know all those words.

November 30, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Sometimes, LIKE TODAY, when I’m so stressed out I could flipping scream, I’ll be in the car and turn up the stereo to BLASTING and drive around listening to my favorite music. It helps. Might not be able to hear when I reach 90, but whatever…

December 1, 2011 @ 1:08 am

Patti- this is one of the few reasons I miss having a car. I loved driving around with the music blasting and maybe pretending I was just going to keep on driving. 🙂 I’ll have a car again someday.

December 1, 2011 @ 12:22 am

I love the concept of anti-Zen! We all need those moments. I do suggest no operating heavy machinery, interacting with in-laws, or ranting on Twitter about any specific person during this hissy fit moment. (Some things you can’t easily take back.) I loved that movie Broadcast News where Holly Hunter induces a good cry just to get it out of her system and relieve the stress.

December 1, 2011 @ 1:11 am

That’s a great scene! I’d forgotten about that. Very good points- when having a moment of anti-Zen shut down your email, all social media, turn off your phone, and hide in your room. Thanks Julie!

9. Lesann
    December 2, 2011 @ 4:42 am

I’m with you on the anti-Zen mojito-drinking sewer slog. Sometimes down and dirty is better than light and airy, and that’s not slamming light and airy. Over the years I’ve had several Buddhist monks in my classroom, one of them I got to be chatty with and he commented that while I was not light and airy, I often had insight.

I’m still puzzling that one out but I figure it must be good. If not, then being insulted by a Buddhist monk puts me in rare company.

Remember: friends help you move but “good” friends help you move bodies.

December 2, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

I haven’t been isulted by a Buddhist monk. I think I feel left out. LOL I don’t see myself as light and airy, I’m very grounded, but I have my moments of awareness and insight. At least I think I do.
      And yes a good friend will totally help you move a body.