October 12, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Hey Alica! You’ve written a concise yet spot on description of writing books. I see the same “story” written over and over again, but it’s the way it’s written that makes me buy the book. We DO loves those archetypes, but there’s a reason for that. They appear in real life over and over again throughout history.

October 13, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

When I first started I worried about writing a story just like all the others out there. Then I read something of Joseph Campbell’s and realized I was being silly.
      Although I still panic every time I think a YA might be similar to mine. 🙂

October 12, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Nice string quartet! I like Coldplay. I’ve got to buy that song. THANK YOU again…

3. Sheila Seabrook
    October 12, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

I fall in love with an author’s voice and I’m toast. She/he could endlessly repeat the same story and I’d be hooked by the book. 🙂

October 13, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Yes, I agree there are several author where even their books follow the same structure so closely I can only read a few close together before getting bored, but then after a few months I pick up another one because they’re so fun.

October 12, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

That is an excellent point. I tend to be more irritated than I should be when other stories are similar to mine. Instead I should wonder whose stories mine are emulating. If we have unique voices, the output will be unique.

October 13, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

It’s hard, to remember that our voice and style is what makes out books unique. I panic that if I don’t get my book out soon someone else will have written it.

5. Keli Gwyn
    October 12, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

As a romance writer, I work within a set framework. Boy meets girl. Boy and girl are kept apart by internal and external conflicts. Boy and girl overcome their differences, conquer their foes, experience personal growth, and enjoy their well-deserved and long-awaited Happy Ever After. Even though the format of a romance has been etched in literary stone, each one is unique because every writer tells a story differently. While a plot may appear similar to others, the author’s voice and style make that story special.

October 13, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Exactly! The basic structure for romance is the same- and most jobs, lifestyles, and problems have been written about, but the authors unique voice is what bring the story to life!

6. Myndi Shafer...one stray sock away from insanity.
    October 13, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

Love, love, love Vitamin String Quartet. They are fab. And Yellow? What a timeless song!

7. Ron Smith
    October 14, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

This is so true. Lots of things get done over and over but with a new point of view. Your reference to Joseph Campbell and his Heroic Quest/Hero with a Thousand faces is spot-on.

We all work in the same universe with the same central ideas–bringing a new twist makes it stand out and get noticed.