1. Kilian Metcalf
    October 3, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

One of my favorite foreign films is The White Balloon. Set in Tehran, it tells the story of a young girl who wants a goldfish, one of the fancy ones that “looks like it’s dancing.” The thing that struck me most is the fact that this child is wandering through a city with a very large amount of money in her hand, and no one thinks it is unsafe or unusual. No one tries to steal it or harm her. I tried to envision a 7-year-old girl in Chicago with with $50 in her hand trying to buy a goldfish and shuddered. A delightful and winsome story.

October 4, 2011 @ 12:47 am

I haven’t seen that one- adding it to my list. It’s little things like how they feel walking down the street that teach us a lot about a culture.

October 3, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

SUPERB resource that I will be able to use in the future for learning about other cultures, Alica. Thank you SO much for this. I would never have been able to figure all of that out on my own. And I just signed up for Dr. Ferrer’s class yesterday. it’s online in October. It sounds so interesting and I know I’ll learn a lot from her.
    Thanks.

October 4, 2011 @ 12:44 am

Yay! I still need to sign up- have to wait until pay day. I’m so glad you’re finding my tips helpful. More next Monday!

3. Jolyse Barnett
    October 3, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

I have a new favorite song. Thank your son for me. :) Course seems interesting, too. I’ll check it out.

October 4, 2011 @ 12:44 am

I will! I’m glad you liked it. I’ve never taken a class from her before- but her bio is very interesting.

4. anitakgreene
    October 6, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

Great post! I would never have thought of Pearl Buck’s books. Thanks so much for this informative post, Alica!

5. Darren Howells
    October 7, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Hey, can’t find any contact info on your site – which I’ve just been enjoying. Can you locate mine on http://www.subtitledonline.com and drop me a message please?

6. Angela Wallace
    October 8, 2011 @ 1:59 am

Great list of resources! I’m definitely going outside what I know with my current main character. She’s an oceanographer, and I am so not a science person. But I looked up stuff online and even found a couple blogs by oceanographers so I could learn about their daily work life. It was fun to learn new things, like how there are four distinct disciplines of oceanography, so I could narrow down my character’s backstory even more.

October 8, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

Wow- that is really cool. I had to do research for my circus performers, thankfully I know people- I think I’d be more intimidated by having an oceanographer as a character then a person from a different culture. I hate getting facts wrong.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
      Alica

7. Reetta Raitanen
    October 11, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

I just checked out your blog for the first time and I really like the new direction. I love the music you’re sharing. I like Alizee too but especially the Eurovision song was cool 😀 I am a huge fan of the contest.

Great tips about getting to know other cultures. Cannes Film Festival and Berlin International Film Festival are great sources for spotting movies from a diverse range of directors from different countries.

October 12, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll have to look up winners for the Berlin film Festival. I have used Cannes to pick some movies.